- 12/9/2014 12:00:00 AM by Alan Scherstuhl
California Split has never been heralded as one of the key Altmans. But the few things it does - friendship and disappointment and the drab and desperate thrill of the gambler's life - it does superbly.
- 3/25/2008 12:00:00 AM by Michael Atkinson
Sold as a comedy, the film scans more like American-century Dostoyevsky, with comp cocktails.
- 3/25/2008 12:00:00 AM by Don Druker
Robert Altman's masterful 1974 study of the psychology of the compulsive gambler.
- 3/25/2008 12:00:00 AM by Variety Staff
The film is technically and physically handsome, all the more so for being mostly location work, but lacks a cohesive and reinforced sense of story direction.
- 2/9/2006 12:00:00 AM by Joshua Rothkopf
Altman feels rather than thinks his way into a subject, with a special interest in how people relate to one another in moments of crisis.